Jefferson Street Missionary Baptist Church
2708 Jefferson St
Nashville, TN 37208
Phone: 615 3292990
We're here to welcome you. Please stop by during these hours:
1887 - Reverend Huffman, established the North College Street Baptist Church from a storefront Sunday School. The name later changed to Third Avenue Baptist Church, due to the city changing name of the street. Reverends Jeff Turner, Albert Porter and Grant Bryant succeeded Rev. Huffman.
1919 - Reverend J. L. Harding was called as the fifth pastor.
September 24, 1920 - Reverend Harding sold the Third Avenue Church site and purchased the 2708 Jefferson Street location for $3,200.00 ($1,600.00 paid in cash).
1937 - The church celebrated its fiftieth anniversary by having fifty nights of service.
1940 - Reverend Herman Stockard was installed as the sixth pastor. A small frame building was erected as the sanctuary.
1944 - Reverend J. C. Jones was installed as the seventh pastor. The building was bricked and gas heat was installed.
1971 - Rev. Jones retired and Rev. James Thomas became the eighth pastor.
1971 - 1975 - Purchased land.
1976 - Built current sanctuary.
1977 - Completed the sanctuary and marched in on May 8, 1977.
1992 - Purchased the Kennedy Apartments.
1994 - Burned the mortgage on the church building.
1995 - Purchased the property located at 211 Truetland.
1996 - Renamed the Kennedy Apartments to the Thomas - Jones Apartments.
2007- Sold the Thomas-Jones Apartments; now debt-free.
2008 - Established the 2-5-5 Legacy Endowment Program for future generations.
2016 - Retirement of our 8th Pastor, Rev. James Thomas
2017 - Proud owners of a full-half of block on the historic Jefferson Street
2017- Elected our 9th Pastor, Rev. Aaron X. Marble.